Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Diversified Careers

Often financial advisers are telling you to diversify, diversify, diversify. Why don't people do this in their careers? Theoretically, productivity should be the same level. If you don't take into consideration of specialization. But it's specialization for the X amount of hours you work right?

I want 9 careers. I really do. Why can't I have them all, do them all, and enjoy them all? Right now I'm at about 3. 4 if you call school a career, and 5 if you take into consideration volunteer work. In my plan, I can have 6 paying careers and 3 non-paying but soul-mending careers. To do this, it is essentially required to have some capital in the beginning. And two, the flexibility of employers.

$50,000 is an easy amount to live on. That's 175 dollars a day you have to make for 6 days a week for 48 weeks a year. That's 24.17 hours a day (impossible!) at my going rate at B&N. Or 17.5 hours a day at my current internship. Essentially, I need to make 25-30 dollars an hour to make my benchmark of $50,000 a year.

Can I make 30 bucks an hour doing 9 different things? Probably not. But I can try to do what venture capitalists do by creating a goal. 1/3rd of the jobs will be less than 30, 1/3rd will make 30, and the last 1/3rd will make more than the $30 an hour.

I want to do volunteer work. I want to write a book. And do academic research. Volunteer work is nice. Writing a book and doing research can help drive my other business ventures, in the idea of fringe benefits. Even if you do something for free, you can benefit from it financially, but you must have the right systems in place. For example, if doing academic research creates credibility to me and what i say, my books will sell better, and my business consulting will benefit from my popularity.

Other things on my career list is to run a website. Run a company (but what type?). Be a venture capitalist. Do Business consulting. Work at a coffee shop. And the 9th one will be undetermined.
blog comments powered by Disqus